Wondering how to move your non-running car in or out of the city? Well, then you should read this guide to find out if vehicle transport service can benefit you and, if so, how to go about it when moving a car that’s not driveable.
Can You Ship a Non-Running Vehicle?
Just to be on the same page, let’s first establish what a ‘non-running’ car is. It is the vehicle that either is not in running condition (cannot be driven because of a mechanical fault) or is not safe to drive like having failed brakes. These vehicles can include cars that got into a major collision and got damaged and also classic vehicles that need restoration.
So now that you know what is classified as a non-running car, the answer to the question above is yes, you can ship this kind of vehicle. And the best part is, the process for car shipping of such vehicles is the same as the regular ones.
What to Know Before Shipping Your Non-Running Car?
Before you pick up that phone and dial the number of a car transport service provider, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind. Have a look at them below:
- Research the Company: This one is important whether your car is operational or not. And since it’s already damaged, a few more damages because of the mistakes of a non-professional company will not come to your notice. Therefore, you need to work with someone who is reputable and professional. A Google research about car transport companies should help you find a professional one.
- Contact Them: Once you find the car transport company to move your non-running vehicle, get in touch with them and tell them everything ranging from the car type, model, make, weight, dimensions, why it is not running, and everything else they ask. This will help them guide you better about whether they can move it or not.
- Compare Prices: This is also a very important part of the process because you cannot just hire the first company you see. During your research, you must have come across a few more service providers with good ratings and reviews. Contact them all and ask for car shipping quotes, compare them and hire the one offering the best value at lower car transport cost.
How to Move Your Non-Running Car?
Since your car is not in operational condition, it cannot be driven onto the carrier, which is why other means would be required. Read about them below:
- Open Carrier: If you move your car using open carrier auto shipping, it will be loaded onto the carrier via a winch. There are several types of winches that may either be hand cranked or manual. The car is loaded onto the carrier using a chain. Remember, since your car is going to be on an open carrier, it will not be protected from weather conditions or natural road elements.
- Enclosed Carrier: This is where your vehicle is loaded inside the container using a liftgate. The car is placed onto the gate, which then moves up and to the container level, and then the vehicle is moved inside from there. Since it is an enclosed container, your vehicle will be protected from external weather or road elements. Mostly, classic and high-value cars are moved in enclosed containers.
When transporting your non-running car to somewhere, remember to provide all the details the auto shipping company asks for accurately. This is because the final quote will be decided based on these factors.
You can also get in touch with us to ship your non-running car; we’ve been known to offer excellent service in this domain.